Shooting Disciplines > Varmint League

Scope questions. I hope this is okay to post here...

(1/2) > >>

Reverend Mike:
Hey all, I'm sorry if this isn't the place for this but I was looking for advice on rifle scopes and didn't have a specific forum that I felt this would fit in...

I'm looking to take up distance shooting and have recently purchased a rifle capable of 1000 plus yards. I was looking to see if I could get some opinions / advice from experienced distance shooters about optics. What power should I be looking for, for that distance, How large should my objective lens be? Any specific recommendations on optics, bases or rings? I'm looking at a possible, "buy once, cry once" on the price, but I'd love to see if anyone has had any luck with less expensive brands.

Thanks for all your time!

Mike

MRPC_Admin:
If any bunch of competitors know anything about Scopes, it's this group.
Hope you all don't mind my moving this post to the Varmint League for a little scope advice for this shooter.
Thanks in advance.
Doug
MRPC Admin

Reverend Mike:
Thanks

jberes4:

--- Quote from: Reverend Mike on May 21, 2013, 09:52:57 PM ---Hey all, I'm sorry if this isn't the place for this but I was looking for advice on rifle scopes and didn't have a specific forum that I felt this would fit in...

I'm looking to take up distance shooting and have recently purchased a rifle capable of 1000 plus yards. I was looking to see if I could get some opinions / advice from experienced distance shooters about optics. What power should I be looking for, for that distance, How large should my objective lens be? Any specific recommendations on optics, bases or rings? I'm looking at a possible, "buy once, cry once" on the price, but I'd love to see if anyone has had any luck with less expensive brands.

Thanks for all your time!

Mike

--- End quote ---

Mike,

The three popular scopes among the varmint shooters are the NightForce 12-42x56 BR, Sightron SIII 10-50x60, Weaver T36.

http://nightforceoptics.com/benchrest/12-42x56-precision-benchrest/
http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SIII-Series/SIIISS1050X60LRFCH/
http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/tseries/

Bang for the buck the weaver scopes are nice, however you are left with a fixed 36 power scope. This can be a bit of a hindrance if you have bad mirage. I like my NF, Weaver and Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50. I am building a 7mm WSM for long range shooting and the two scopes which I am deciding on are the new NF 15-55x52 and the Sightron mentioned above. The Sightron is bearable at roughly $1000 where as the NF is retailing for almost $2300. Bob White at Shooter's Corner has the Sightron for $925 new.

For your long range shooting I would look at a scope which has at-least 40 minutes of vertical adjustment. I would stick with a good quality rail, you might consider a 20 MOA rail to help as well. As far as rings go, if you do no go with a rail you can get Burris Signature Zee rings, they have the ability to change shims giving you up to 20 minutes of adjustment in the scope rings. Otherwise I would look at a good quality ring such as NF, Burris, Leupold Mark 4 etc. Scope levels can also very important when you start getting out to longer ranges. Also consider the weight of your components if you are trying to meet any weight restrictions.

It is possible to see some 6 and 6.5 mm bullet holes (if they are on white targets) on clear days with a 32-36 power scope at 500 yards. Stay away from the Nikon Monarch scopes as they do not have enough internal adjustments to get out to 1000 yards with a 100 yard zero.

Hope this helps. Any questions let me know,
John

MRPC_Admin:
John - Awesome reply to Mike's question.
Even a pistol guy like me can learn a thing or two about rifle shooting by reading this forum.
Many thanks!
Doug

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version