The Official Miami Rifle and Pistol Club Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Registered users can practice HTML features in the Sandbox

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-Purpose range Opened December 17, 2016  (Read 5035 times)

MRPC_Admin

• Administrator
Multi-Purpose range Opened December 17, 2016
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:49:34 PM »

Fellow Members

The MRPC Board of Directors is proud to announce the opening of the new Multi-Purpose Range for your enjoyment.  This project has been in planning for several years and represents a major addition to our facility.  The structure is divided into three separate bays and allows for many different types of shooting.  Check out the attached photos and specific range rules, or better yet, come check it out in person.  There are still a few  items to complete and we will address them over the next few weeks, but for now, come out and enjoy. 

The club sends a special thank you to all those who volunteered their time yesterday to build the loading tables and wood splatter walls, and to clean up and make the final preparations.  I appreciate the clubs patience throughout the course of the construction, as I know we caused many disruptions to traffic about the grounds.  Thanks to all of you for your continued membership, as this project was made possible by your membership dues. 

Merry Christmas to all.

Come out and enjoy.

Michael B. Bley
VP Range & Grounds
MRPC

New Multi-Purpose Range view from Rifle Range

Vice President Range and Grounds takes first shot

Bay 2

Bay 2 Targets provided by the club

holygeez03

Re: Multi-Purpose range Opened December 17, 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »

Is the original plinking range going to stay open?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:44:44 PM by holygeez03 »

MRPC_Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »

With construction complete and the new Multi-Purpose range open, the Board of Directors intend to close the plinking range.
Date for such closure will be discussed at Wednesday's Board Meeting, Jan 4, 2017. 
Doug
Technology Admin

prickett

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 02:12:36 PM »

Can we get clarification on bay 2's rules?  The rules say "pistols and pistol calibers only".  There are two interpretations of that. 

1)  Pistols (and ONLY pistols) shooting pistol calibers (i.e. no AR pistols)

-or-

2)  Pistols, or rifles firing pistol calibers

So, would a Pistol Caliber carbine, or a .22 rifle be allowed in bay 2?

mittrucks

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 12:39:47 AM »

The middle bay is intended for pistol calibers only, no bottleneck, no center fire rifle.
Pistol caliber carbines fine.
22 LR rifle/carbine fine.
Thank you for bringing the wording issue to our attention, that is why the signs are still hand written. 
John Smith VP Pistol MRPC

holygeez03

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 11:34:50 PM »

Can we get clarification on bay 2's rules?  The rules say "pistols and pistol calibers only".  There are two interpretations of that. 

1)  Pistols (and ONLY pistols) shooting pistol calibers (i.e. no AR pistols)

-or-

2)  Pistols, or rifles firing pistol calibers

So, would a Pistol Caliber carbine, or a .22 rifle be allowed in bay 2?

Agreed... I think it should read "Straight-walled, pistol calibers only. No bottlenecked cartridges. No shotgun ammo."

Or something like that...

toddbike

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 07:12:57 AM »

So, the bottlenecked 7.62x25 round, used in Tokarev and CZ-52 pistols, cannot be used in bay 2?

holygeez03

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:17:33 PM »

Last I checked, the rules state "No bottleneck rifle cartridges"... I suppose it would be easy enough to consider 7.62x25 a "bottleneck pistol cartridge"... but I would seek clarification.

As you probably know, the muzzle energy of the x25 is similar to something like .40S&W, but it's velocity is much higher... so the determining factor would be if the Bay 2 steel target can handle the round.

Same question would apply to someone wanting to shoot 357Sig.

Jim Kammerer

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »

Nice day today so we went to the club.  Some notes, questions and observations:

PLINKING RANGE is closed.

New multi-purpose range is SUPER NICE.

Benches that are being built are great.

Bring spray paint: white, red and/or black.

It is loud when multiple people are shooting CF rifles!

Maybe we could buy/build some higher chairs/stools for shooting sitting down.

Why baffles (not sure what they are called) for bay 1 only?

Why big gaps in firing positions?

Range rules are a little confusing (see this thread for examples)

Is a cease-fire needed in all bays to go down range in one?

Jim Kammerer member since 95; Life NRA; Life OGCA
Jim Kammerer MR&PC member since 1995; NRA - Endowment Life; OGCA - Life

holygeez03

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »

I have been there a couple times times now and I agree that the MP Range is very nice and will hopefully get better...

That is a shame about the old Plinking Range being closed... it really offered a nice, casual shooting experience and one of the big reasons I joined MRPC despite being a member of other clubs. I really wish the club would consider re-opening it with a "clay target only" rule, since then clean up would not be necessary. Also, I would assume that the new MP Range will take a significant amount of the casual shooter traffic, and the old Plinking Range would naturally stay cleaner.

I hope they do not intend to put up baffles in any other bays, as it already feels more "indoors" than I would prefer. It would also create more noise on the shooting line, right?

I am under the impression that a cease-fire is only needed for the bay you are on for going down range... and that is the purpose of the "target line" to not proceed past. But I am not an official opinion...

VP Range and Grounds

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »

Thank you for all your positive comments about the new range

I would like to answer some of the questions I see posted.

Baffle is the correct terminology for the overhead structures above bay 1.  At this point we have no intention of adding them to the other bays, although the range was built so that they could be added if required at a later date.  They were only installed in Bay 1 as that is the only bay in which we allow high powered rifles and full auto.

The range was built as three separate bays separated by 12" concrete walls so that a ceasefire could be called independently in each of the three bays, as long as you do not pass the target line.  The wood wall extensions are only for protection from mud spatter.

Please only spray the steel plates with flat white spray paint.  The exceptions would be that the dueling tree plates are painted red on one side, and the release for the hanging plate racks are red.  We intend to keep them painted, but the rainy weather and high volume of use had kept us from painting them until this week. 

The big gaps between the tables at the firing line are primarily for equipment access to maintain the berm.  Additionally, they provide access to the targets and are useable for those who don't want to shoot from behind a table. 

The "Pistol and Pistol Caliber" rule in bays 2 and 3 was a quick and concise way state what has been in our pistol pit and pistol range rules for years.  You can also reference our range regulations in the members only section of our website if you do not have one of the yellow brochures. In a nutshell, here's basically what we mean:  Any pistol chambered for a straight wall pistol cartridge is allowed.  A rifle chambered for a straight wall pistol cartridge is allowed (eg. any 22LR rifle, an AR rifle or carbine chambered in 22LR or 9mm, a Henry rifle chambered for 38 spl. , etc.) Pistols shooting shotshells (eg. Taurus Judge) are not allowed.  Pistols chambered for bottleneck pistol cartridges such as Sig .357, Tokarev 7.62 X 25 would be allowed.  Since I'm not an expert on the many cartridges available, my broad and simple thought on this would be that if the cartridge is manufactured with a pistol bullet it would be allowed.  If it is manufactured (or reloaded) with a rifle bullet, please consult the Board of Directors for a determination. 

We are still in the process of fine tuning the range rules.  Please bear with us.  We will have permanent signage printed soon.

If you have questions or comments, please email me directly at vp_range_grounds@miamirifle-pistol.org.  I rarely visit this forum, but thought it was important to answer your questions.  I generally answer any direct emails as quickly as I can, but I do have a personal and professional life that come before my volunteer time.

cliffdropover1

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 07:52:32 AM »

Just visited the new ranges for the first time a few days ago.  I cannot say enough good things about these.  They are great and much much better than the old plinking range.  I do like the fact that plinking is still allowed on range one.  Range two is great with the steel targets, especially with the ones that move when hit and the .22 range has some of the same great targets.  This addition to the club was obviously very well thought out.  Many thanks to all those involved with this.   

holygeez03

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 11:02:33 AM »

Is there any info on what will happen to the Old Plinking Range? I did love shooting there due to its open feel... can it be re-purposed as a "clay targets only" range so that it can still be used for plinking, but will not require the clean up due to degradable targets?

This would be great for shotgun shooting, short range rifles, pistols, etc.

Parabellum

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 08:41:24 PM »

Yeah I liked it too.  Sorry but I heard it's going away and is going to be used as a storage area.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

goldenpony

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »

I've been to the new range several times and absolutely love it. I took my two grandsons one day and we all had a good time. I think it was their first shooting experience. Took the opportunity to pass on a good dose of gun safety too.
As soon as my Ruger Mark IV comes back from the recall, I'll be throwing some more lead down range.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up